UiTV Search
 

 

 

 

 

IS claims responsibility for Kabul attack

Afghan security personnel cordon off the site of the attack

Kabul, Jan 29 (UITV/IANS) - The Islamic State (IS) terror group on Monday claimed responsibility for the suicide attack on an army base that left nine persons dead and 10 injured in the Afghan capital here.

A statement released via the IS-linked Amaq news agency said the IS militants detonated their suicide vests after exchanging gunfire with the Afghan security forces, describing the attack as "Inghimasi".

Inghimasis are radicals assigned to fight deep into their target's frontlines and blow up their explosive belts afterwards, Efe news reported.

Earlier on Monday, Afghan Defence Ministry spokesperson Dawlat Waziri told Efe the attack on the army battalion, stationed near the Marshal Fahim Military Academy in western Kabul, began around 5 a.m.

Waziri said that two extremists detonated their suicide vests, while another two died in a gunfire exchange with the security forces, and a fifth was captured alive.

Waziri added that five soldiers were killed amid the clashes and 10 wounded, who were transferred to a military hospital.

Monday's suicide attack comes just after Saturday's ambulance bomb attack here that left 103 dead and more than 200 wounded.

The ambulance attack came a week after a previous assault on civilians at the Intercontinental Hotel here killing more than 20 persons, including 14 foreigners.

Afghanistan is witnessing one of its bloodiest periods, following the end of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation's (NATO's) military mission although it continues its presence in the country for training Afghan forces.

In September 2017, both the US and NATO had decided to significantly increase their military presence in the country.