Canada has suspended trade negotiations with the United States and vowed to respond with tariffs “dollar for dollar” after last-minute talks between the two countries failed to produce a deal.
The escalation came after the United States imposed a new 50% tariff on billions of dollars worth of Canadian goods. The tariffs took effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time on Saturday, August 22, after negotiators failed to reach an agreement before the latest deadline.
Canada Suspends Negotiations
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced late Friday that Ottawa was suspending negotiations and recalling its negotiating team from Washington.
Carney said significant progress had been made during the discussions, but argued that last-minute changes to the US position were unfair and economically unacceptable. He said the progress achieved was not sufficient to meet Canada’s objectives, including protecting Canadian businesses and maintaining broad access to the US market.
“Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar,” Carney said, signalling that Ottawa would respond directly to the new US measures.
US Imposes 50% Tariff
The latest US tariffs affect approximately US$20 billion worth of Canadian imports, according to the office of US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer. The measures were imposed under Section 338 of the US Tariff Act of 1930.
The tariffs had originally been scheduled to take effect earlier in the week, but US President Donald Trump granted a short extension as negotiations intensified. Both sides had indicated that substantial progress had been made, raising hopes that a broader trade agreement could be finalized.
Those hopes faded after Friday’s negotiations ended without a final agreement.
Key Issues Remained Unresolved
The negotiations focused on several contentious areas, including tariffs on steel, aluminum and automobiles, restrictions affecting US alcohol sales in Canada, and Canada’s dairy trade policies.
According to reports, Washington was prepared to reduce some sector-specific tariffs and withdraw the new 50% tariff order as part of a potential agreement. Canada, however, concluded that the proposed terms did not provide enough progress to justify accepting the deal.
The disagreement also comes as both countries face wider uncertainty over the future of their North American trade relationship and the Canada-US-Mexico Agreement.
Economic Impact Could Grow
The latest escalation threatens to increase costs for businesses on both sides of the border and place additional pressure on industries that rely heavily on cross-border supply chains.
Canada’s decision to retaliate could further intensify the dispute, particularly if Ottawa applies equivalent tariffs across US products. Canadian officials have also indicated that additional measures to support workers and businesses affected by the tariffs could be announced in the coming days.
The breakdown represents a significant setback for efforts to stabilize trade relations between the two longtime economic partners.
For now, negotiations are suspended, with Canada signalling that it is prepared to take a tougher approach while also looking to diversify its international trade relationships. Prime Minister Carney has previously emphasized strengthening Canada’s domestic economy and expanding partnerships beyond the United States.