Twitter on Friday announced the long-awaited feature which its boss Elon Musk had promised to bring to the platform — that subscribers can now upload videos up to 60 minutes long from around the web at 1080p resolution and 2GB in file size.
Twitter updated its Blue Page in which it shared the information, also it shared that all videos must comply with the company’s rules.
Earlier, Twitter Blue subscribers were able to upload 10-minute-long videos on the platform at 1080p resolution with a file size limit of 512MB.
However, the company mentioned that iOS and Android users can upload videos up to 10 minutes long, just like it was before.
Those who are not Twitter Blue subscribers can still upload videos up to 4 minutes in length on any platform.
The micro-blogging platform said that it will consider modifying the quality of the video for distribution.
“We strive to maintain the highest possible video quality for all videos uploaded to our platform,” said the company’s support page.
“However, we may modify or adapt your original video for distribution, syndication, publication, or broadcast by us and our partners and/or make changes in order to adapt it to different media, including modifying the resolution and bitrate of the original video while streaming based on the speed and stability of the viewer’s internet connection,” it added.
Moreover, the company said that there will be no limit to the number of videos users can upload, even if all videos are the maximum length.
Musk’s private jet tracking account back on Twitter, with 24-hr delay
More than a week after being suspended from the micro-blogging platform, the account which used to track Twitter CEO Elon Musk’s private jet is back on the platform, but will show information with 24 hours delay.
Last week, Twitter had suspended the ‘@ElonJet’ account, created by a college student Jack Sweeney, which provided regular updates of Musk’s flights by using publicly available data.
Now, Sweeney has created a new account ‘@ElonJetNextDay’ which tracks the private jet of Musk, but with a 24-hour delay.
In January, Musk had offered Sweeney $5,000 to remove the @ElonJet account.
Meanwhile, last week, Musk claimed that he was taking legal action against the @ElonJet account’s owner.
He had tweeted: “Legal action is being taken against Sweeney and organisations who supported harm to my family,” arguing it put his son at risk.
“Any account doxxing real-time location info of anyone will be suspended, as it is a physical safety violation. This includes posting links to sites with real-time location info,” he added.
Even Sweeney’s personal account got suspended from the micro-blogging platform along with the other tracking accounts that he created.
Twitter lays off more employees from public policy team
Twitter has laid off more employees from its remaining public policy team, after laying off an unknown number of engineers in its infrastructure vertical last week.
A member of the Twitter public policy team tweeted late on Thursday that she has been laid off.
“Yesterday was my last day at Twitter, as half of the remaining Public Policy team was cut from the company. It’s hard to convey how fortunate I feel to have had this exceptional opportunity. This was, indeed, a dream job,” posted Theodora (Theo) Skeadas.
“I am unbelievably proud of the work we did to protect people in global conflicts including Iran, Ukraine, and Libya,” she added.
According to Musk, Twitter now has just over 2,000 employees (it had more than 7,500 employees when he took over in October.
Musk said in the latest live audio conversation platform Twitter Spaces that Twitter was on track to lose about $3 billion next year but should now be “roughly cash flow break even” after his job cuts.
The company has been hit by at least 100 former employees of various legal violations, including gender discrimination in layoffs and failing to pay promised severance.
Twitter laid off around 3,700 employees in early November in the first cost-cutting measure. Hundreds more resigned later.
The company was also sued in the US for mass layoffs without giving employees advance written notice.
The lawsuit has been filed in the US District Court in the Northern District of California, in violation of worker protection laws, including the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act as well as the California WARN Act, both of which require 60 days of advance notice.
The lawsuit is seeking “a range of relief, including compensatory damages (including wages owed), as well as declaratory relief, pre- and post-judgment interest, plus other attorneys’ fees and costs”.