To listen click here
New Delhi, March 7 – The traditional Holi spread has long been ruled by thick, creamy, and absolutely delightful Thandai.
ROSE NARIYAL THANDAI
- 3/4 oz coconut liqueur
- 2 cups coconut milk
- shredded coconut, rose petals, rose water
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- skinned almonds and cashews
- green cardamom, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, coriander seeds
- Soak dry fruits and seeds in rose water for two days prior to preparing this drink
- Grind into a fine paste and add in rose petals, desiccated coconut, saffron, and cardamom
- Muddle the paste with coconut milk, or use a blender
- Shake the syrup with coconut liqueur and ice
- Serve it cool with rose petals and coconut flakes
ICE TEA THANDAI
- 7 Ground white pepper (Kali mirch)
- 1 Assam Tea Bags
- 1/4 cup Almonds (badam) – coarsley crushed
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds (saunf) (crushed coarsely)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom (elaichi) powder
- Ground sugar
- A few Saffron (kesar) strands
- Heat water in a flask and add some Assam tea bags to infuse its flavour in water.
- Add 1/4 cup almonds, Khus-Khus, fennel seeds and cardamom in the mixture.
- Top it up with kali mirch and ground sugar to taste.
- Cool it in the refrigerator, add lot of ice and serve strained.
- Place few saffron strands over the drink for flavour and colour. Serve
ALMOND MILK THANDAI
For the powder mix:
- 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder or 2-3 green cardamom (elaichi)
- 2 tsp of poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 1 tsp of fennel seeds (saunf)
- 5-6 black peppercorns (kali mirch)
- 3/4 tsp saffron (kesar) – optional
- 1 tsp roasted watermelon seeds or sunflower seeds
- A pinch of nutmeg – optional
- For the drink:
- 4 cups of almond milk
- Seedless Dates/Raw Sugar/Palm Sugar to taste
- For garnishing:
- Chopped Pistachios
- Silver Leaves
- Pinch of Saffron
- Take all the ingredients in a grinder and grind really fine.
- For a larger batch of the spice mix, dry grind and keep in an airtight container, refrigerated for a few days. You can also alter the quantities to suit your personal taste and preference.
- Boil the milk with whichever sugar you are using and few strands of saffron (if using).
- Add the ground powder and mix it well. Add more water if needed to get the desired consistency.
- Strain the mixture to remove any particles to make a smooth Milk.
- Cool and let it refrigerate for a minimum of one hour or even overnight to let the spices infuse in the drink.
- Give it a mix before serving. Garnish and serve. If you have rose water or dried crushed rose petals, add some to taste.
- 1 1/2 Cup milk
- 4 tbsp thandai mixture
- 1 full pack guava juice
- Ice cubes
- Pour the thandai mixture in a jar.
- Add some milk and a full pack of guava juice.
- Put some ice cubes, give it a nice stir.
- Serve chilled!