To get the depth at which male and female brains differ, we’d need to find out what the brain is and its various compositions. The brain is among one of the largest and most complicated organs in the human body. It functions as a relay network sending signals and information to the synapses through over 100 billions of interconnected nerves. The brain sends signals and is reactive to any sudden change or external pressure on the body. Making it responsible for both conscious and subconscious decision making.
The brain consists of unique and special areas that perform tasks hand in hand:
- The outermost layer of the brain is called the cortex and is responsible for voluntary movements and also controls thinking and decision making.
- Situated between the rest of the brain and the spinal cord, the brain stem, the brain stem performs functions like breathing and controls sleeping patterns.
- The basal ganglia which are clusters of structures in the center of the brain coordinate messages between multiple other brain areas.
- Another integral part of the brain located at the back and base of the brain is the Cerebellum. The Cerebellum is responsible for coordination and balance.
The brain is also divided into several sections called lobes:
- The frontal lobes are basically responsible for problem-solving and help in giving judgments and also perform motor functions.
- The parietal lobes is the section that manages body posture, handwriting, and sensation. You’d be surprised that even the brain controls the handwriting. There’s no activity whatsoever that gets done in the human body without the brain.
- The temporal lobes is the section responsible for hearing and involved with memory. It helps in memorizing and it is the most active when listening to lectures or reading for examinations.
- The occipital lobes is the section of the brain that is responsible for visual processing. It clarifies vision and it plays a huge role when playing games. The brain can immediately process what to do with what is seen.
The brain is also simply divided into gray matter and white matter.
The gray matter
The women’s brain which is smaller has a higher gray matter than white matter. Gray matter contains cell bodies that help women process information in the brain and is located within regions of the brain that are involved with control of muscles and sensory perceptions. Gray matter does represent information processing centers in the brain. The gray matter processes information sent by the white matter.
The white matter
White matter is located in the deeper tissues of the brain which has been rarely spoken of. It contains nerve fibres that are extended from nerve cells. The white matter nerves are a layer of a membrane-like substance called Myelin. Myelin is responsible for the brain’s white coloration and protects the nerve fibres from impact and injury. The white matter sends information, the gray matter receives it.
Males and females differ in some aspects of their brains with men having larger brains on average (between 8% and 13% larger) than women’s.
The grey and white matter controls the brain reactions and its many impulses in men and women such as:
The female brain most times gets controlled by the menstrual cycle. Women’s reactions to stress, pain and agitations are sometimes stemmed from the hormonal differences in the body. The men, however, are not subjected to this and can make solid decisions regardless. Women’s cycles affect their day-to-day activities and often are ladened with mood swings. This affects their judgments and also lack of interest in an activity they would have liked if not under the influence of hormones.
The way men handle emotions is entirely different from the way women handle emotions. Women are rather expressive and would wail, shout, shed tears, and laugh heartily. Men hold in emotions and would rather appear strong and when overwhelmed, would groan deeply. Most emotions are evident when it comes to winnings and losses. It has already been proven that males and females have different gambling habits and differently react and act when it comes to handling losses and gains in gambling. Women often get depressed after a huge loss and might become withdrawn but then, a man would want to make up for his loss by keeping at it. But when it’s all good, the two genders keep at it.
Studies conclude that men on average have higher intelligence than women but women have better developed cognitive senses. Women know what a baby needs without communication. They understand distress and uncomfortability. Women also do have the ability to multitask and can avoid conflict, unlike men.