Headphones have become a must-have these days. With their help, we learn the news, listen to our favorite music or focus on the game, without causing inconvenience to others. Almost every device comes with a headset or headphones , but their quality rarely suits even novice music lovers and they have to buy new accessories. But in order to make the right choice, you need to know what they are and what is the difference between seemingly two similar externally devices offered in the retail network. To do this, first of all, you need to decide for which device you buy headphones. After all, even very expensive headphones will not be able to provide high-quality sound and very durable if the signal source is a cheap player or mobile phone.
Headphones have become a must-have these days. With their help, we learn the news, listen to our favorite music or focus on the game, without causing inconvenience to others. Almost every device comes with a headset or headphones , but their quality rarely suits even novice music lovers and they have to buy new accessories. But in order to make the right choice, you need to know what they are and what is the difference between seemingly two similar externally devices offered in the retail network. To do this, first of all, you need to decide for which device you buy headphones. After all, even very expensive headphones will not be able to provide high-quality sound if the signal source is a cheap player or mobile phone.
If you plan to use headphones with mobile gadgets (smartphones, music players or other portable devices), you need to pay attention to the parameters of sound insulation and portability. These requirements are best met by in -ear miniature headphones.
In addition, when buying headphones for connecting to a smartphone , it is advisable to opt for models with a convenient mini-control panel with a built-in (remote) microphone and a sound level control. Thanks to this, you can control not only the playback of audio compositions, but also conversations on your mobile phone without taking it out of a case or pocket.
Despite the fact that traditional MP3 players are gradually becoming unpopular, their place is confidently being taken by portable Hi-Fi or Hi-End players, which in terms of sound quality are many times higher than the capabilities of smartphones and cheap players. For such devices, models of headphones that are more serious in terms of playback parameters are suitable, but their cost can be commensurate with the cost of a new smartphone.
For connection to a computer or laptop, there are a number of headphones that combine headsets and a microphone. They are different in sound characteristics, appearance and price, and it is necessary to give preference to devices that best suit the tasks to be solved: for communication in popular managers (Skype, etc.), for watching films or for listening to musical compositions. The models for games , which have extended functionality, stand apart.
For true music lovers who do not have enough stereo sound quality, special multichannel models are offered that allow listening to audio in 5.1 and even 7.1. Such accessories are great for gamers, connoisseurs of high-quality music, as well as for watching movies with an audio track in Dolby or DTS formats.
Modern headphone design types
An important feature that directly affects the acoustic performance of headphones is the type of construction. There are four types of headphones available today:
1. Large oversized headphones (Circumaural). Such models are considered the ideal type of headphone. They feature a sophisticated design and a maximum diaphragm diameter for the perfect sound. Headphones of this type are used in recording studios, and simpler models are suitable for use with computers indoors. Their only drawback is the relatively high price.
2. The on-ear type of headphones (supraaural) is a reduced copy of the accessories of the previous group. Their bowls, unlike their larger counterparts, do not completely cover the ear, but are compact. They are lightweight and often feature a convenient folding design or other ingenious attachment methods. Due to the rather large diameter of the membrane, they significantly surpass in-ear headphones or plug-in accessories in terms of sound characteristics.
3. In-ear headphones, or as they are called “droplets” or “tablets”, do not have high audio performance and good sound insulation. Their main advantage is their simplicity and compactness – when rolled up, they practically do not take up space. These headphones can be easily attached to the ears and can be easily hidden under a fashionable hairstyle or hat. This type of headphone is most often used for listening to music from MP3 players or mobile phones.
4. In-ear headphones (IEM) are considered the most common and have good sound insulation. They, like the devices of the previous type, are invisible and easy to carry, but they have a number of significant advantages. They are more stable in the auricle and are ideal for listening to audio content in noisy places, although the sound quality is rather mediocre.
The main types of acoustic design of headphones
Depending on the listening conditions, you can choose one of several types of design:
• In closed models, all structural elements are isolated from the environment and music is played directly into the user’s ears without being distracted by ambient noise. These headphones are best for listening to heavy music with high sound density.
• The open ear cups have special holes for more natural sound with minimal distortion. The disadvantage of such models is considered to be poor sound insulation – not only you, but also those around you will enjoy the music.
• The semi-open type of acoustic design has the properties of both previous types, combining the incompatible.
There are two large groups of headphones that differ in the way they are connected. These are wireless models and devices that connect to devices using special wires. For wireless connection, the special communication standard Bluetooth is most often used, which is supported by most phones. However, there are models in which the IR channel is used for wireless communication. To connect to stationary home devices, radio frequency models are often used, with a fairly large coverage radius. Using such models, you can comfortably enjoy music while moving around the house. But such devices interfere with other devices operating on the same frequency, so they are not used in mobile equipment.
Wired models differ in the type of connector. The most common is the 3.5 mini jack, which is equipped with most mobile phones and computers. Many recent models of smartphones already use headphones with a usb type c connector, which may pretend to be a new standard. To protect the cord from kinks and rapid wear, special shapes of the mounting part of the plugs are used. The most ideal is L-shaped. Thicker cables or cable noodle options are considered to be the most durable and rarely tangled. But the most convenient option is a detachable cable.
Choosing headphones for sports
During hiking or sports training, music promotes good results, empowering a person and protecting him from others. For such exercises, special designs of headphones are used, which are distinguished by reliable fixation on the head or in the ears of the athlete and moisture resistance. You can choose the most optimal model for each sport .