Probably many times parents have seen this sports development area for children, consisting of only two racks and steps between them. Although they didn`t always know that this ladder is called Pikler triangle. It was invented by the Hungarian pediatrician and educator Emmi Pikler, who discovered a direct relationship between the physical and mental development of the child. Through multiple pieces of research, she discovered the importance of encouraging a child’s natural desire to move and develop at their own pace.
If there is limited free space in the room, then parents can only install the ladder itself. And if there is enough space or the child likes to play in the living room, then the pikler triangle set will do. Let’s see what this stuff is, what are its advantages, and is it worth buying the whole set at once.
What Is the Pikler Triangle?
In general, this is the first sports equipment in the toddler`s life. From a very early age, children can learn to climb stairs, developing muscles, coordination, agility, understanding how to use their own bodies. And it only looks like an ordinary staircase for adults, but for a kid, it is a mini sports complex! The ascent is interesting, the descent requires concentration, and the most difficult thing is to overcome the highest point because it`s often the same height as the toddler.
- The triangle has closely spaced steps. If on other children’s stairs in various products (including outdoor areas) the distance between them is from 15 cm, then on this one it`s 10 cm.
- The Pickler triangle is quite a multifunctional thing because a child can not only develop physical skills but also build “houses” with this ladder and train creativity.
- If parents purchase a set with a ramp, then the child also gets a slide inside the house, which is ideal for cold weather when outdoor play areas are not always available.
- The children’s ladder doesn`t require fastening to the floor or wall. The triangle is easy to move from room to room if the child wants to play next to the parents, and not just in the nursery.
- Most Pickler triangles are made from wood, as this material is considered hypoallergenic and safe for a baby of any age.
Triangle or Whole Set?
If the child has already fully mastered the ladder, then you can buy a few more elements like a Montessori arch or ramp, which will help diversify the playing process and bring even more fun to the child`s life. Many parents purchase the whole set, but introduce the child to each piece of the fitting little by little. This allows kids to gradually master the sports complex and stretch their interest in this stuff for a long time.