San Francisco, Oct 6 (UiTV/IANS) – With 303 vulnerabilities and a cumulative total of 3,159 vulnerabilities as of 2022, a new report said that Google Chrome is the most vulnerable browser available.
According to a report by Atlas VPN, these figures are based on data from the VulDB vulnerability database, covering January 1, 2022 to October 5, 2022.
Google Chrome is the only browser with new vulnerabilities in the five days in October. Recent ones include CVE-2022-3318, CVE-2022-3314, CVE-2022-3311, CVE-2022-3309, and CVE-2022-3307.
The CVE programme tracks security flaws and vulnerabilities across multiple platforms. The database does not list details for these flaws yet, but the report said they can lead to memory corruption on a computer.
Users can fix these by updating to Google Chrome version 106.0.5249.61.
Mozilla’s Firefox browser is in second place for vulnerabilities, with 117 of them.
Microsoft Edge had 103 vulnerabilities as of October 5, 61 per cent more than the entire year of 2021. Overall, it has had 806 vulnerabilities since its release.
Next is Safari, which has some of the lowest levels of vulnerabilities. For example, in the first three quarters of 2022, it had 26 vulnerabilities, and its number for cumulative vulnerabilities 1,139 since its release, the report said.
Meanwhile, the Opera browser had no documented vulnerabilities so far in 2022 and only 344 total vulnerabilities.
As of May 2022, Safari reached over a billion users, and Apple has been working hard to make sure its browser is secure and safe to use.
Google pays $85 mn to settle location tracking data lawsuit in US
Google is paying $85 million to the state of Arizona in the US to settle the claims that the tech giant illegally tracked the location of Android users.
The settlement is one of the largest ever paid by Google (per capita) in a consumer fraud lawsuit, reports The Verge.
Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich had sued Google in May 2020, claiming that “dark patterns” were built into its software on Android smartphones and apps.
According to the lawsuit, Google kept location tracking running in the background to collect advertising data, even after users had turned off location sharing.
A company spokesperson said the case was based on outdated product policies that have long since been updated.
“We provide straightforward controls and auto delete options for location data, and are always working to minimise the data we collect. We are pleased to have this matter resolved,” said the company spokesperson.
Earlier this year, the attorneys general of three states and the District of Columbia had sued the tech giant, alleging that Google pushed Android users with “repeated nudging, misleading pressure tactics, and evasive and deceptive descriptions” to share more information either “inadvertently or out of frustration”.
The lawsuit built on the 2020 complaint filed by the Arizona Attorney General over location data collection.
Google had said that all smartphones use location data — it’s integral to how they work.
“For our part, location makes Google products work better for you — it’s what helps you navigate around a traffic jam, helps you find your phone when you’ve misplaced it, and lets you find a pizza shop in your neighbourhood instead of suggesting one in a different state,” said the company.
Two years ago, Google updated its data retention practices.
Google had said that it will continue to focus on providing simple, easy-to-understand privacy settings to its users, and “will not be distracted from this work by meritless lawsuits that mischaracterise our efforts”.